The problem with the human mind

M Suresh msuresh at INDIA.TI.COM
Tue Aug 6 09:20:39 CDT 1996

>           I have another related question to the learned members of the
>           Group.  What about mentally-challenged humans (for e.g. people
>           with Down's syndrome or other what we call "mental disorders") ?
>           Are they also under the influence of mAya? How difficult is it for
>           them for Self-realization? We do not know about their
>           Self-Realization, but they might not have been  deluded or
>           mesmerized by mAya. In that, they may have an advantage. Am I
>           correct in this thinking? Is their mind at peace or is there a
>  conflict
>           going in their minds also?

  I am not a learned member of the group, but here is my opinion :-). The
 control
  of senses should be voluntary and not due to something external. Thus
  deep sleep or unconsciousness does not qualify as control of senses. Deadening
  of one or more local senses by local anesthesia or being born without one of
 the
  senses would also not amount to mind control of which the senses are agents.

  Just as the senses are instruments of the mind. The brain is also a sort of
  instrument of the mind. So being born with a defective brain or deadening or
  activating certain regions of the brain by drugs, alcohol, electrical
 simulation
  etc. will not amount to samadhi.

regards,
Suresh.