mental disorderes

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Wed Aug 7 13:03:46 CDT 1996

 Shree Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

>Now let us take the case of a person with what we call a "mental
>disorder". We need also to keep in mind that it is we (who have a
>"properly functioning mind" which perceives the world as real (!))
>that put the tag of "mental disorder". This person has not perceived
>the world at all and hence the concept of real or unreal world does
>not arise. So, the proper word is not enlightenment for this person.
>But I believe this person is closer to God, because maya is ineffective
>in deluding this person.
>History of Hastamalaka (one of Sri Sankara's disciples and the originator
>of Hastamalaka Stotra)is to be kept in mind in this context. There is
>no Sankara now to wake this type of person.
>Regards
>Gummuluru Murthy

In principle beliefs, are unquestionable. By that I mean one can believe
any thing they want.

Mental disorder is with reference to so-called normal person with mental
order - here the order we normally refer to is appropriate cause-effect
relations valid in the objective world.

Realized state is nothing to do with mental order or disorder, it is
realization that mental orders and disorders are in me and  I am not in
them, that is I am totality.

Hastalamalaka's case is different - He has knowledge of the world but
igored for the higher - The fact he could compose slokas that followed
order implies that he is very well aware of the order.

>From the point of worldly person a realized person may behave like a mad
man - unnmatta - B.G. yaa nishha sarva bhuutaanam....

That does not mean any mad man is close to realization either.  Converse
does not follow!

If so by taking large dose of drugs one gets closer to realization!

There is no other short cut than realization that I am that - as Sankaraa
puts it JNaanam vinaa moksho na sidyati - whether the person is mentally
ordered or disordered - viveka is one of the prerequisites for it to
differentiate aatmaa- anaatma vastu.

Mentally disordered man my be close,  may not be - nothing to do his
diorders - it all depeneds on where his mind is - Remember the
Bhajagovindam sloka -
Yogaratova bhogaratova
sangharatova sanghavihiinaH
yadyat brahmaNI ramate chittam
nandati nandati nadatyeva.

whether he is a yogi, or bhogi, with the company  or without it does not
matter. whoever has his mind revelling in that brahman alone is the one who
has realized.

 Hari Om!
Sadananda

K. Sadananda