gaudapaada and buddha (was Re: brahman by ...)

Kim Poulsen poulsen at DK-ONLINE.DK
Wed Dec 4 16:59:08 CST 1996

Kartik:
>>....it will not give a full picture, - unless you *also* studies
> > vedanta. This is the only solution that can explain both the positive
> > and negative comments.

>This is actually contradicted by Buddha's own words,"The Tathagata is not
>close-fisted teacher who holds some truths back." and then "I have taught
you
>all that I can" or something like that.

The statement can be understood as adressed to his arhats. The pali
canon is full of incidents where the Buddha will not comment on certain
topics. Certain sutras are even build up over this theme, containing a
series of refusals to teach.
   Sometimes he will comment that this knowledge is of no use to the
inquirer. Topics include - a personal self, metaphysics, etc. The spiritual
climate in his day could be another factor.
   Also the arhats discussions among themselves after his death gives
occasionally the impression that there was an esoteric interpretation: -

 Then Anuruddha arose and said: "Let us bear in mind, O brethren,
that Gotama Siddhattha has revealed the truth to us.
.......... The Tathagata taught us that the truth existed
before he was born into this world, and will exist after he has
entered into Nirvana. The Tathagata said: 'The truth is omnipresent
and eternal, endowed with excellencies innumerable, above all human
nature, and ineffable in its holiness.'

  "Now, let us bear in mind that not this or that law which is
revealed to us is the Buddha's doctrine, but the entire truth, the
truth which is eternal, omnipresent, immutable, and most excellent.

........The truth is not arbitrary nor a matter of opinion, but can be
investigated, and he who earnestly searches for the truth will find it.
The truth is hidden to the blind, but he who has the mental eye
sees the truth. The truth is Buddha's essence, and the truth will
remain the ultimate doctrine. Let us, then, revere the truth; let us
inquire into the truth and state it, and let us obey the truth.
For the truth is .....our Master, our Teacher."

  Please pay attention to the hidden truth, and the ideas
concerning truth - its pre-existence, etc.. There are clearer cases
where the arhats apparently mentions a doctrine taught to them,
but  my CD-Rom drive decided to break down this morning, so
this will have to wait. Anyway supporting your contention is
a number sayings like (in the Book if Threes)

"Three things are kept secret - the ways of women, the
chanting of brahmins and the views of perverts....
Three things shine forth for all to see...the light of the
sun, the light of the moon and the dharma of a Tathagata
shines for all to see.."

  This gives a clue to what a Tathagata really is, - an entity
generally referred to in the third person by the Buddha. It
is necessary to understand the difference between the light
(of the logos, iishvara, tathagata - daiviprakriti) and the
human entity.
   Both Krishna, Buddha and Christ alludes to
this relationship, Krishna by his standpoint (his statements
regarding "I" and "mine"), the Buddha by certain terms and
Christ very clearly and directly as "My father in Heaven"
   The celestial Buddha and earthly bodhisattva of Mahayana
will give the approximate idea. If you read your two
sentences from this angle they will change meaning (and
this meaning is my opinion on the matter.).