Dvaita or Advaita ? (was: An interesting article - any response ?)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sat Dec 7 07:20:28 CST 1996

I saw many articles in the past few days on the topic of Dvaita and
Advaita.  This age-old question, according to various writings over
hundreds of years, has produced widely different views.

The object of our seeking either of the two tracts is, in my view, the
following:

We are basically saddened by seeing the miseries of the world. We seek
some explanation for the human suffering and sadness and happiness. Why
is it that way ? We finally recognize that the human sadness, suffering
and happiness are only in the mind. It is our ignorance of this
recognition that makes us go through this illusion which is the world.
Once we recognize this, there is no more suffering; no more happiness;
we lead a life full of peace, with no ups or downs.

We recognize that the whole world is a creation of the mind only, and
disappears with the mind. In the process, we also recognize that we are
none other than the parabrahman, the substratum for all. We further
recognize that the Truth is beyond what human mind calls logic. Thus,
human mind cannot fathom the absolute Truth.

This is what advaita writings taught me, and thus I am at home with it.
If someone gains the same mental peace and quietness with dvaita, so be
it. After all, that is what we strive for.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.