Regarding presenting evidence of absence

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Sun Dec 8 19:02:48 CST 1996

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

[...]

> A fair comparison entails that the
> sushupti avasthaa be examined from the same state, and not from jaagrat
> avasthaa. What I mean is, we perceive oneness in sushupti and do not question
> it there. The questions arise only in the waking state. So saying that
> "sushupti provides only the evidence that no objects are cognized" is only
 from
> the point of view of the waking state, which is not IMO, a fair comparison.

Yes, which is why once the questions about sushupti rise in the jAgrat
state, one takes recourse to Sruti to answer them. The advantage in using
Sruti is that it is accepted by all vedAntins as a valid pramANa. Else,
the dvaitin will just go back to his basic assumption about the waking
state. However, he has to pay attention to what Sruti says, although he
may twist its meaning to suit his interpretation. Then I can turn back and
say, "Hey, your interpretation of Sruti is not justified!" In my opinion,
this helps to keep argumentation with a dvaitin more focussed on the basic
divergences, rather than getting bogged down in peripheral details.

Vidyasankar