Question on method of arriving at conclusions

M Suresh msuresh at INDIA.TI.COM
Thu Jul 11 18:03:19 CDT 1996

Ramakrishnan wrote:

> Kartik wrote:
>
> >Suresh wrote:
> >
> >>   Only Brahman seems to satisfy the requirements you have given above. I
 was
> >>  arguing
> >>   from the standpoint of logic alone.
> >>

> >Actually, no. I mean: even mathematical truths like "2+2=4" cannot be denied
 by

> Actually, yes :-). You are back to "2+2=4"! For advaitins
> "non-contradictability" means it should be that way in all 3 states. In deep
> sleep there is no 2, much less "2+2=4".

  But according to what vidya wrote "2+2=4" is not contradicted in deep sleep.
  The main question then becomes whether mathematics exists by itself without
  a perceiver. Natha Bhaktyananda suggested that mathematics can be contradicted
  by the mind. Then it has to be illogical is'nt it?

Namaskar,
Suresh.