Dream & Waking States

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Thu Jul 11 11:23:34 CDT 1996

Suresh wrote:

>  So in my opinion the waking state  is superior to the dream state as long
>  as the  talk of states  comes in.  But if one denies all  states ( ajaati
>  vaada ) then that is okay.
>
>Namaskar,
>Suresh.

As I disucussed couple days ago,in principle there is no difference between
the waking and the dream.  One can say if there is difference it is only of
the degree not of the type.  It is the degree of the availability of ones
own intellect.
In dream, the intellect is mostly folded and whatever is available is able
to distinguish the among the subjects and the objects.
The other dreams giri and other talked about are only the one is
intellectully more conscious of the dreams of mental projections - even in
the day dreams.

Since in the dream the intellect is at its low web, there are no will full
actions to accumulate the vasanas.

In day dreams the intellect is availble mostly and hence stronger
impressions or vasanas will result.

Even in the waking state the intellect, the discriminative fculty is not
fully utilized - that viveka - nityaanitya vastu viveka - has to be
developed through sadhana.  Then only I will cease to identify myself with
the objects, body, mind and intellect, and be myself.

Thus intellect and its degree of availability or involvment makes a difference.
You can ofcouse say that makes the waking more superior to other.  But in
the final analysis it is like saying this confusued state is better than
that confused state. So be it, as long as it is understood that both are
confused states.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

K. Sadananda