Info on Dattaatreya

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Sun Jul 28 18:19:14 CDT 1996

Anand wrote:

>    If any of you know about Dattaatreya, please post it on the mailing
>   list and I will pass on the information to him.
>
>   I know just a little about Dattaatreya, mainly from the PuraaNas, and
>   the compositions of Vaasudevaananda Sarasvatii. There is also a
>   Dattaatreya upanishhad and a Datta PuraaNa.

In addition to the Avadhutha Gita (mentioned by Ken) is the classic Tripura
Rahasya (the Mystery Beyond the Trinity [a.k.a. turiya or Fourth State]),
which is Sri Dattatreya's (Sri Narayana--incarnation of Visnu) instruction
to Parasurama.  In my opinion, it's a toss up as to which--this or Astavakra
Gita--delivers the cleanest advaitic strike to the thought-riddled mind of
the struggling jiva.

This is available from Arunachala Asrama in NY. (Tripura Rahasya, translated
by Swami R. Saraswathi)

Namaste.