devotion vs. knowledge

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Jun 3 21:32:26 CDT 1996

> At 08:16 PM 6/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
> >At 07:19 PM 6/3/96 -0400, Michael Cohen wrote:
> >
> >>If I may, a general question addressed to the forum:
> >>
> >>When seeking to locate authority concerning the precepts of advaita, to
> >>whom should appeal ultimately be directed? If we seek to understand the
> >>relationship between jnana and bhakti, it seems scriptural sources are the
> >>resort of choice. If we seek interpretation of the scriptures relating to
> >>advaita, is not Samkara the voice accepted as most authoritative by virtue
> >>of sampradaya or the succession of teaching lineage?
> >

> >IAN: What is the "authority" in the scriptures? I say this authority
> >is truth. As such, the only authority in the scriptures is the truth
> >in the scriptures. If we can show that scriptural statement X is
> >true, then and only then does statement X poses authority.
> >
> >If truth is the measure of authority, then all statements that are
> >true have authority regardless of their inclusion or exclusion
> >from some set of written documents defined as "scripture."
> >
> >The only other definition of authority I can see as being applied to
> >scripture is the "authority" of tradition and thus of established
> >social pattern. Established social patterns are what dreams are
> >made of. The social pattern is the pattern of the mind. The
> >mind of each person, all of its emotions, are but links
> >to the social mind via which commands for action and
> >social station are distributed. Each feature of each
> >mind is but a feature in a vast social signalling
> >network -- a network which contains no separate
> >self.
> >
> >The truth beyond the mind, is beyond the mind.
> >
> >At least that's what this unit reports.

>    Namaskar,
> my new friend.
> who is it that
> forms these amazing thoughts?
> who is seeing authority and social
> mind-stuff? Who thinks and percieves
> this vast and profound info? How does
> this unit know, what is beyond it?
> in him
> wonder, wonderer, wondering
> ej
> in Him
> love
> e.j.

Namaskaaram.

What brilliance in evidence here!  As well as virtually everyone who's posted
to this discussion, is guru caliber.  According to, in my view anyway, not by
necessarily the accuracy of *relative* spiritual axioms stated or implied but,
more significantly, the inherent bhavana (spiritual equipoise/feeling).

Beyond this, however, is the uncompromising atONEment of every alleged persona
from Christ to Hitler: ALL That Effulgent Universal Blast of Infinite Light
that resides everpresent in the HEART regardless of the fantastic apparition of
petty world sufferings in thoughts.

HARI OM NAMAH BAGAVATE SRI RAMANARPANAMASTU.