AUM

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram r0m6887 at TAM2000.TAMU.EDU
Fri May 17 10:03:15 CDT 1996

vaNakkam / namaami / My Respects to you all,

        AUM. Welcome to Advaita-L. By the grace of shrii sha.nkara may
this mailing list serve as medium to understand the advaitaM in
depth. Let me begin the discussion on this list by posting the famous
toTakaashhTakaM. Even though many of you may have this text with you ,
I thought it is good sign to begin with a tribute to shrii aadi
sha.nkara. May all the great sages like shrii raamakr^ishhNa
paramahaMsaa, bhagavan shrii ramaNa mahaR^ishhi, shrii nisargadatta
maharaaj, shrii paramha.nsa yogaanandaa and many others who stood a
living proof to advaitaM bless us with knowledge of the self and
undying devotion.

 toTakAshhTakaM
 --------------

 The toTakaashhTaka has been composed in the toTaka meter, in which
 each paada (quarter) has four sa-gaNa's. Here a sa-gaNa is made up of
 two short syllables followed by a long one. The hymn naturally lends itself
 to be set to music. A suggested Raaga is (Hindustaani) toDi.

 viditaakhilashaastrasudhaajaladhe mahitopanishhat kathitaarthanidhe |
 hR^idaye kalaye vimalam charaNaM bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||1||

 O knower of the nectar-ocean of the scriptures, the expounder of the
 knowledge of the great upanishadic treasure! I meditate on Your pure lotus
 feet in my heart. O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.

 karuNaavaruNaalaya paalaya maaM bhavasaagaraduHkhaviduunahR^idam |
 rachayaakhiladarshanatattvavidam bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||2||

 Save me whose heart is afflicted by the misery of the ocean of births,
 O (You who are) the ocean of compassion! (By Your grace) make me the
 knower of the truths of all the systems of philosophy.  O Preceptor Shankara,
 be my refuge.

 bhavataa janataa suhitaa bhavitaa nijabodhavichaaraNa chaarumate |
 kalayeshvarajiivavivekavidaM bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||3||

 The people have found happiness due to You, who have the intellect adept in
 the inquiry into Self-knowledge. Make me understand the knowledge of God
 and the soul. O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.

 bhava eva bhavaaniti me nitaraaM samajaayata chetasi kautukitaa |
 mama vaaraya mohamahaajaladhiM bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM  ||4||

 You are Lord Shiva Himself. Knowing this my mind is filled with an
 abundance of joy. Put an end to my sea of delusion. O Preceptor Shankara,
 be my refuge.

 sukR^ite .adhikR^ite bahudhaa bhavato bhavitaa samadarshanalaalasataa |
 atidiinamimaM paripaalaya maaM bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||5||

 Only after numerous virtuous deeds have been performed in many
 ways, does a keen desire for the experience of Brahman through You arise.
 Protect (me who am) extremely helpless. O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.

 jagatiimavituM kalitaakR^itayo vicharanti mahaamahasashchhalataH |
 ahimaaMshurivaatra vibhaasi guro bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||6||

 For the sake of saving the world, (Your) great (disciples) wander assuming
 various forms and guises. O Guru, You shine like the sun (among them).
 O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.

 gurupu.ngava pu.ngavaketana te samataamayataaM nahi ko .api sudhiiH |
 sharaNaagatavatsala tattvanidhe bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||7||

 O Best among the Gurus! The Lord whose flag bears the emblem of the
 bull! You have no equal among the wise. You who are affectionate to those
 who seek refuge! The treasure of truth! O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.

 viditaa na mayaa vishadaikakalaa na cha ki.nchana kaaJNchanamasti guro |
 drutameva vidhehi kR^ipaaM sahajaaM bhava sha.nkara deshika me sharaNaM ||8||

 I have neither understood even one branch of knowledge clearly, nor do I
 possess any wealth, O Guru. Quickly bestow on me the compassion which is
 natural to You. O Preceptor Shankara, be my refuge.
( I got this text from SRV and it was posted by shrii Anand Hudli)

With Respects,
Ravi
msr at tamu.edu
        "Self-Realization is knowing -- in body, mind and soul -- that
we are one with the omnipresence of God; that we do not have to pray
that it come to us, that we are not merely near it at all times, but
that God's omnipresence is our omnipresence; that we are just as much
a part of him now as we ever will be. All we have to do is improve our
knowing."
                                       shrii paramaha.nsa yogaanandaa