CELIBACY

Fri Nov 22 10:07:25 CST 1996

> Celibacy is definitely encouraged by most great teachers and gurus.
>
> However, it is quite difficult in the modern world.

Guess what.  Celibacy and the other things Vedanta requires of you have
_always_ been difficult.  There was no golden age.  Even in "the good old
days" the pressure on people to become entangled in samsara was great.  In
fact I think it is easier now that people are no longer in danger of
starvation, pestilence etc.

> My own personal experience is that I've made some attempts to be
> celibate for awhile at home, but it didn't really work out.   Whereas
> when I stay at an ashram, it is not a problem because it is setup to
> facilitate that.

If this is the case, the answer is clear-cut.  You shouldn't be attempting
to practice Vedanta.  There is nothing wrong with this, you are in no way
bad or abnormal.  But rather than end up in a situation where you are
neither in the world nor out of it satisfying the dictates of neither the
karma marga nor the jnana marga, follow the path the shastras have set for
samsaric people and try again when you're ready.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \