Various Topics

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Nov 22 13:04:19 CST 1996

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Madhava Kumar Turumella wrote:

> Dear friends, this is just sharing my experience with you.  I was taught
> that I should neither avoid nor hold and should accept things as they
> are...

        Then, why do you avoid meat and alcohol ? :-) imho, a jnani can
accept the things as they are without judgements of good/evil, but until
then, one's actions should be dharmic. Otherwise, Krishna would have just
told Arjuna 'yes, why uphold your Dharma ? Just accept things as they
are.' Numerous books on dharmasastras would go to waste. Bhishma, in the
Mahabharata, gives a long lecture on Dharma, like the values of
truthfulness, renunciation etc.

> then why don't I play the game in it's own way! Though I don't boose or eat
> meat, I do not feel uncomfortable in the presence of others who do that.

[..]

> >sampradaya) just because they had children
> >[They may not be recognized by Advaita vedanta, however].
> Can you please explain? Is it said anywhere in advaitic text books that
> these teachers are not realised just because they are married?

        Certainly not. However, as i understand, Shankara requires actual
sanyasa (not mental renunication alone) to attain Jnana.  Therefore, one
who performs karma by having children and has not taken formal sanyas is
automatically eliminated.
        Even Kashmir Shaivism, NavNath Samparadaya are advaitic, but i
don't know whether they are considered vedantic.
        Regarding Shri Nagy's examples of people who are considered
jnanis, and are celibate, i can provide (and have provided) examples of
many people who are considered jnanis, and are married and have children.
Not only from advaita, but also from tibetan buddhism etc. (unless, you
deny any one other than advaita vedantins can be jnanis).  i am not going
to associate the actions of the body and verify one's jnana or ajnana.
        However, since you feel strongly about the requirement of celibacy
for jnana, there is no point in arguing over this point. i feel Jnana is
not something to be attained, it is here Now, it is ever-present and does
not depend on concepts.

Namaste.