Disciples of Ramana Maharshi

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Wed Oct 23 11:22:32 CDT 1996

Natha Bhaktyananda wrote:
> [ ... ] ...the *complete* state of nirvikalpa samadhi (nirvana,
> realisation of the Void, call it what you wish) is accompanied by some
> peculiar physiological signs: the heart stops, the breath stops, the
> EEG goes flat (electric brain activity stops).

This is true of nirvikalpa samadhi but, in my view, that you're implying
it's true of mukthi is misleading.  Although mukthi CAN encompass nirvikalpa,
it's not a prerequisite of mukthi.  As you probably know, this is true of ALL
siddhis.

I regard Self-realization to be a very simple and ordinary affair.  It
throws one back onto incredibly familiar ground, with the distinction that
the Mind has been diffused and thereof no longer capable of interfering.
This is Bliss.

Based on what I've said earlier, there appears a contradiction: viz.,
that everyone is already Self-realized, where I now imply that it
happens in time.  Actually, both and neither are true and false!  Simply
because the whole idea of 'Self-realization' is a Mind-game.  And this
is where some insight into the koan method of Zen can help shed light;
as well as some choice statements of Gaudapada, Sankara, and the Sage of
Arunachala, such as:

"The ajatavada (pure advaita doctrine) is represented by no loss, no
creation, no-one bound, no sadhaka, no-one desirous of liberation, no
liberation.  This is the Supreme Truth." --Gaudapada in Mandukya Kareeka,
II--32.

and

"The feeling that I have not realized is the obstruction to realization.
In fact, it is already realized; there is nothing more to be realized."
--Bhagavan Sri RM in "Talks with Bhagavan" 1962 edition p192

and

"You are That, here and now......This is the master key for solving all
doubts." --ibid, p121

namaskaar