The need for action. (Was Re: Spiritual Erudition)

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Sep 3 15:36:16 CDT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Dennis Waite wrote:
> I was very pleased to see Chuck's post expressing concern about the lack of
> practical experience being reported on the list. The ego was very reassured
> by Ken's response and the quotation from Swami Lakshman Jee to the effect
> that intellectual knowledge is important. After all, 'I' enjoy it -

Namaste.
        I think the quotation was by Swami Lakshmanjoo. He is very well known
and was the successor of the lineage started by Abhinavagupta, the
exponent of the Kashmir Shaivism. Many people even regarded him as an
incarnation of Abhinavagupta. He lived in Kashmir and attained
mahasamadhi in late 1991. Shortly before that, he appointed an american
teenager, Viresh Hughes (who was born in India, got his upanayam
performed by Lakshmanjoo, and lives in california) as his successor.
        Lakshmanjoo was not only recognized as a jnani, but was widely
known as a scholar in sanskrit. His remarkable knowledge of sanskrit and
his photographic memory helped in the translation of various kashmir
shaivism texts which are available today. A couple have been published by
the SUNY press, NY. One can find his name mentioned in varied books like
'Zen flesh, Zen bones,' books on Kundalini by Lilian Silburn besides
contempary KAshmir Shaivism books.
        A brief biography of Abhinavagupta can be found in

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8107/index.html

praNaam