Katha upanishhad verse I.2.23

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Apr 9 10:01:02 CDT 1997

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Cameron Reilly wrote:
> >
> > I have known many people who berate themselves for not studying hard
> > enough, not seeking intently enough. Perhaps they should 'give in', accept
> > that if it is their destiny to realize the Self it will happen, if not, it
> > won't, after all, there is no volition so who is to do anything about it?
> >
> > In accepting their non-volition, they will possibly bring themselves closer
> > to the realization of the fact that the seeker IS the sought.
>

> The acceptance of non-volition should not lead to lethargy. We are back to

But, isn't lethargy a property of the mind only ? Even the buddhi
(the intellect) is not touched by it, let alone the Atman, the Lord of the
chariot.

I define lethargy as the disinclination of the mind to apply to the task
at hand. Body has nothing to do with it and it simply follows. For even
the most "lethargic" person has an active mind. If the buddhi is pure,
the concept of lethargy vainshes.

Thus, I submit that the argument that acceptance of non-volition would
lead to lethargy does not hold.

> S. Vidyasankar

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.