Spiritual Evolution and Samsara

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Apr 10 12:09:33 CDT 1997

Neeta Pasrija wrote:

> I was blessed by Grace a few years ago and turned towards light.  Now I am
> extremely worried, because I am at a crossroad of my life.  I have learnt not
> to get attached to material things but I still don't think I am at a point
> where I can give up the world and go to the Himalayas, so what choice do I
 have
> but to get married and live a worldly life.  Also, how else do I pay my

Here's my understanding of the subject. If one is fit enough to become an
ascetic, he/she need not "pay" any "debts". Certainly, marrying entails
responsibilities and diverts one's attention. So deciding to be a
brahmachari/brahmacharini is certainly a good idea. But it is also quite
obvious that one should not take it up if one has even the slightest doubt
about such a decision.

> My all consuming fear these days is: as soon as I get married and have
 children
> I will get lost in samsara and maya.  Any help on how to avoid that would be
> greatly appreciated.

Continuing to meditate, etc even after marriage would help I suppose. May be
some of the married members of the list can relate their experiences? I have
noticed that the ones who are spiritually inclined before marriage contiue to
be so even after marriage. So I don't think your fears will come true,
especially since you recognise the possibility, I am sure you'll be wary enough
not to let that happen!

> I have been reading the postings on Katha Upnishad verse 1.2.23 and on
 Volition
> and Grace.  These also concern me:  if my spiritual evolution is pre-destined
> then I am not responsible for my karma or is my understanding faulty here?
 All
> I want to do is karma that will take me one step closer to Brahman if not in
> this lifetime in another one.

Spiritual evolution is not totally predestined. The final truth is
actionlessness. However if one thinks there is action, then there is also
volition. So, if one thinks that there is something called spiritual
evolution, then it is not totally predestined. This is the understanding we can
get both from our own reasoning and also scriptures like yoga vAsishhTa etc.
After all "fate" is the sum total of past "free-will" and how can fate alone
determine everything? HH chandrashekhara bhAratI has given an extremely lucid
exposition of this in the book "Dialogs with the Guru", collected by Jnanananda
Bharati Swami. Please see if you can obtain this book and read the chapter
"Fate and Free-will". There is also a good discussion of this in the book "The
Jagatguru replies", which is a collection of discussions with HH abhinava
Vidyatirtha. If you need any more info on the books (publishers etc), I can post
them. I think Charles Wikner's first post also stated in a very nice, concise
manner the position of advaitins on this issue.

There seems to be a confusion regarding free-will due to a mix-up between the
states where there is avidyA and there is no avidyA.

Ramakrishnan.
--
                  http://yake.ecn.purdue.edu/~rbalasub/