A Question???

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Apr 10 14:18:15 CDT 1997

Chelluri Nageswar Rao wrote:

>Our homeland is considered as Matrubhumi.  Kanchi occupies Nabhisthanam.  Sri
>Shankara established Kamakoti at Nabhisthanam.  In puranas it is stated there
>is no punarjanma if one visits Kanchi.  I cant think of any better place to
>establish a peetam than kanchi where Sri Kamakshi, our mother chose to stay.

My intention is not to be dis-respectful, but pop-culture myths about the
efficacy of holy places are widely prevelant in India. Where exactly is this "no
punar-janma if one visits kA.nchI" mentioned? Is it any of the major purANa-s?
Such statements are to be taken as arthavAda to praise the xetra and not in any
other sense. That apart the kA.ncI temple is wonderful and the town has many
other wonderful temples.

Ramakrishnan.
--
                  http://yake.ecn.purdue.edu/~rbalasub/