Promises -- Free will

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue Apr 15 21:15:56 CDT 1997

Dennis Waite wrote:

> In the light of the recent (very interesting) discussions on the
> Kathopanishad and the subject of free-will, what is the status of a promise?
> Is the making of a promise amd whether it is subsequently kept or not
> equally predetermined (and therefore indeterminate)? Should we not indulge
> in such practices? (Please no answers of the sort "Who is it who is making
> the promise amd to whom?"!) :>).
>
> Dennis

Either both are pre-determined or both are free-will. Attributing only
part of it to free-will and not the rest has infinite solutions.
In that case where does one draw the line is anybody's guess.
The way I view it is that both making a promise and the subsequent
keeping/failing to keep it are occurences in which I am just a participant.
Even though I know that I may not keep promises (since I might die
suddenly), I make them and try to fulfil them. It is under the assumption
that, if I continue (to exist) and if I remember (to keep the promise),
I will. After all, memory is the fundamental limitation. It has to
occur to me that I am so and so and that I have to do such and such.
Even a reminder that I decide to use has to remind me of the purpose!
The same thing applies to personal promises too. For example following
codes of conduct and practices of discipline.
I am not bringing in the obvious outside factors which prevent me from
acting in a desired way(like a flat tire on an interstate without a spare,
preventing the arrival at a destination on time)

regards,
Srinivas Sista.