Journey of Soul

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Apr 18 14:02:46 CDT 1997

Srinivas Prasad  wrote:

> 1.  What happens to the soul when one leaves the material Body (Death).
>
> 2. Assuming that he/she is going to come back again to this living
>    planet, how long it takes in Years to be back in action?????.

There is a detailed explanation of this in the brahma sUtra bhAshhya. Giri had
posted excerpts from this about a month back. You might want to check up the
archives.

Of course, if you take a text like the gauDapAda kArikA you'll see that a
great amount of effort is taken to prove that the world as we see it is
mithyA. In this context questions about what happens to the soul after death
would obviously be considered quite irrelevant. It would be akin to seeing the
illusion of an apple tree created by an illusionist and arguing with some one
after the show has ended, whether there were 20 apples or 30 apples in the
tree. But usually people are not satisfied by the straight forward approach
taken by the mANDUkya upanishhad and instead want complicated theories :-).

The BSB gives some of the theories to entertain such people. The purANa-s also
give detailed descriptions of the worlds encountered by the soul after death.

Ramakrishnan.
--
                  http://yake.ecn.purdue.edu/~rbalasub/