On Meditation

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Fri Apr 25 03:26:07 CDT 1997

I think you'll find as many ideas about meditation on this list as we do
ideas about everything else.

My experience has been as follows.

My guru taught me that meditation is 'watching the thoughts'. He told me
that if I tried to stop the thoughts, that was foolish, because trying to
use the mind to stop the mind was futile.

Instead, he assured me that if, during meditation, I simply allowed the
thoughts to appear and disappear as they pleased I would notice how they
appear spontaneously... that "I" have no control over them... and I would
subsequently understand I was not the "me" but this sense of presence, this
feeling of "I Am". And that after a while I would experience meditation
always, without having to consciously set aside time for the practice.

And that this would be the start of understanding my true nature.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards,

At 13:34 24-04-97 -0500, Dhanyavaadah wrote:
>Namaste
>
>        Can someone explain the concept or the correct practice of
meditation?
>is it just to sit with eyes closed and meditate Gayatri jabam to improve the
>powers of concentration or is there something more to it? And is it really
>necessary that it should be done at sunrise or at any particular time of
the day
>or in a particular yoga position? What does one expect to obtain out of the
>practice?
>
>Dhanyavaadah

Cameron Reilly
The Robert Adamson Centre for Non-Duality/Advaita Studies
Direct Lineage of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Melbourne, Australia
Email: cjreilly at ozemail.com.au