Pressure and advaita

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Apr 27 08:17:42 CDT 1997

Pranaams.

Present day society and particularly the North American society uses
the word "pressure" a lot.  When we read the sports news, the general
news or participate in any societal activity, we come across the word
"pressure".  "I am under lot of pressure", "We apply pressure until the
person wilts" are very common usages.

Is there really pressure ? Obviously, there isn't.  Then, why this
thinking ? My general comment is: Pressure is what you put on yourself.
If your mind does not accept it, there is nothing at all and you are
free. Your mind's acceptance of it or otherwise depends on your buddhi.

This posting is the result of a discussion I am having with a friend of
mine where I am trying to convince him of this internal enemy which is
the "pressure which is self-generated".  Is there a good advaitic quote
which I can give him ?

Any response will be appreciated.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.