advaitam and Kashmir shaivam (Idealism and Realism)

Martin Gifford marting at NSWCC.ORG.AU
Wed Aug 13 03:07:18 CDT 1997

At 03:34 AM 12/08/97 +0000, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

>The problem with Subjective Idealism is that if everyone is creating their
>own realities how do you explain why everyones reality differs only in
>trivial details.  For example why does the Sun rise for me at exactly the
>same time as everyone else in my town?  This theory relies too much on an
>improbable amount of coincidence.

Hi Jaldhar!

Everyone sees the 'Sunrise' but the 'Sun' and it's 'rise' is given many
different values and interpretations according to the person. eg. Sungod,
star, continued drought, "stopping me sleep in", too early, too late
(especially in the poles!), etc.

And the baby doesn't conceptualise the Sunrise. It just sees light and feels
warmth and glory.

Regards,

Martin.