satyam, nityam

Maadhavan Srinivasan maadhavan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 24 08:31:04 CDT 1997

Hi

>The two sanskrit words - satyam and nityam - can be translated into
>english as
>
>satyam = truth
>nityam = permanent.
>
>I recently had opportunity to meet and discuss with a swamiji who
>follows vishishhTa-advaita philosophy. In our discussion of dream
>state and the wake-up state, he defined satyam as follows:
>
>satyam as prayojanakaarii. The equivalent in english may be: as
>anything that causes an effect or which has a use.
>
>On that basis, he defined dream state as satyam (because its effect
>is felt by the dreamer), but anityam i.e. impermanent, because it
>vanishes when the dreamer wakes up.

Dream will have a mental effect on dreamer, when he wakes up.
So,Dream state is not anityam.

>He called the wake-up state as satyam and nityam [satyam on the same
>basis as above, and nityam because matter transforms from one form to
>the other, but does not get destroyed].

So, both dream-state and wake-up state are Sathyam and Nithyam.
This Universe is nothing but SELF.  SELF is TRUTH and PERMANENT.

... Moksha is not freedom for the individual; it is freedom from
individuality....

                        T.M.P. Mahadevan in "Time and the Timeless"