Householder (and related topics)

Anand Hudli Anand_Hudli at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM
Mon Aug 25 10:36:52 CDT 1997

 Excellent post by Ramakrishnan. The aashrama system is based on sanaatana
 dharma and as such any particular aashrama such as sannyaasa cannot be
 considered redundant. If we go by the argument that physical sannyaasa is
 not necessary, we are implicitly saying that sannyaasa is a redundant and
 optional stage in life for an aspirant to mokshha. I have problems accepting
 this argument for any person in general. There are exceptions, but these
 exceptions are much much fewer than the general cases. After all, one does
 not meet a Janaka or a Shuka everyday.

 If the argument be made that we can mentally take up sannyaasa and remain
 as householders, this has serious flaws. If we have the choice of mentally
 taking up sannyaasa, then why dont we mentally take up brahmacharya as well?
 After all, the argument goes, we can mentally practise brahmacharya (celibacy)
 even if we are physically not practising it! This is a dangerous argument for
 obvious reasons and is much worse than directly advocating hedonism. This
 argument has the potential to mislead young people and cause them irreparable
 harm!

 So I think the injunction to take up physical sannyaasa cannot be taken
 lightly. Each person needs to be honest to himself and ask the question,
 "Can I really renounce everything staying as a householder?" Even the
  slightest attachment is bound to come in the way of Self-realization.
 In this connection, there is a story in the Bhaagavata which, I feel,
  everyone engaged in this discussion must read. It is about King Bharata
  who takes up sannyaasa and lives the life of a hermit. By chance, he comes
  across a baby deer which has lost its mother. Bharata, out of sheer
  compassion, takes care of the deer and raises it. In the process, he gets
  attached to it and cannot make any progress toward Self realization.
  Consequently he does not get mokshha in that life and will have to be
  born again. The proponents of mentally taking up sannyaasa may point
  out that even if one accepts physical sannyaasa as Bharata did, one may
  still develop attachment to something other than the Self. But consider
  this: If there is a danger of attachment for a sannyaasin, that danger
  for a householder is significantly more. If Bharata could get attached
  to a mere helpless animal, just imagine how easily a grandfather can
  get attached to his grandchildren, or a husband to his wife and children.

  I also realize that there are many who take up sannyaasa and indulge in
  behavior that is unbecoming of a sannyaasin. But that is a problem with
  the people not the sannyaasa aashrama itself. There are, after all,
  many who are householders and still decieve their spouses and children.
  This cannot be used as an argument against marriage by someone who
  leads an immoral life.

 Anand