KaalaH. time

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Jul 3 10:10:05 CDT 1997

I have posted sometime ago one or two paragraphs of my views on kaala
(time). It generated some discussion and clarified some points for me.
I am interested in the concept of time because (as I said in my earlier
posting also) I consider the concept of time as the biggest hurdle for
our understanding ourselves (may be not the knowledge of concept of
time but our getting entangled in that concept). Hurling the concept of
time at the humans is the strongest weapon maaya has to get us all under
its influence. So, I started looking at upanishhadic statements where
time is mentioned. I would be grateful to List members who can give me
mentionings in upanishhads about time.

My feeling is: the great R^shis did not have use for the concept of time.
They were simply not interested. For them, the sandhya (the junction
between day and night or night and day) is the important moment and other
activities go with respect to that. The progress of time or continuity of
time (from day to day) is of no concern to them.

In my readings on time, I came across a statement attributed to
Bhartr^hari which I find confirms my thinking. I came across the english
translation which runs as follows:

The vision of time varies according to whether time is regarded as power,
the Self or a divinity. In a state of ignorance, time is the first thing
to manifest itself, but in the state of wisdom it disappears.

This is apparently the english translation of Bhartr^hari's Vakyapadiiya,
II, 233. Would some knowledgeable List member who has access to the
original sanskrit statement be kind enough to either post it on the List
or send it to me by private e-mail. I would be much obliged.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.