The Karmas and our destiny

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sat Jul 12 10:01:40 CDT 1997

This is in response to Shri Vidyasankar's and Shri Prashant's comments on
my earlier posting. The following is my understanding of destiny. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

>From the paramArtha standpoint, concept of destiny does not exist.
Everything is nishchala, unmoving, unchanging, permanent. From the
vyavahaarika standpoint, destiny is the point where we will be at a
future point in time. In the long term, our destiny (not only the
goal) is moksha, the Realization. In the short term, we do not know
what destiny has in store for us. But we will be where destiny will
take us. Destiny is the change we see in ourselves with the march of
time. Really, there is no change in us, but only what we perceive to
be a change. Worse than seeing a change, we are also establishing a
causal link between the perceived change and what we think is our
contribution to it. We are calling our contribution free will. Yes,
destiny takes its course independent of us. In the relentless march
of time, we are nothing more than jaDavastus, getting to where destiny
will take us. This is a vyavahaarik viewpoint only and when the full
understanding dawns on us, we see what destiny is, just an illusory
concept. In response to a latter point by Shri Vidyasankar, I think
moksha is destined for all. Some may take a more arduous route than
others, but everyone will have the veil of avidya removed and we
recognize what we are. This is not only the goal we set for ourselves,
but is also the destiny.

Shri Prashant asks what a jnani thinks destiny to be. I do not know.
We should all ask a jnani. My understanding is what I put above. Yes,
the jnani lies untouched by the worldly activities and destiny does
not have a meaning to him/her. I do not know if a jnani will be
*inactive*, except detachment to both the action and the result.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.