post-Sankara teachers in advaita - prakAshAnanda

Mon Jul 14 00:21:01 CDT 1997

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> And back to the original line of thinking expounded by shrI gauDapAda and the
> mANDUkya upanishhad I would add. Though other advaitins have consistently
> supported this methodology as I mentioned once before. Both bhAmati and
> vivaraNa do not fall in line with shrI gauDapAda's methodology and represent a
> move away from this work.
>
> >argue for the dr.shTi-sr.shTi vAda, but their views did not become very
> >influential.

Well its nice to see you admit the advaita tradition did distance itself
from some of the implications of Gaudapadacharyas views. I recall you got
rather upset when I made this rather inocous observation before.  I think
a case can be made this move away started in the Brahmasutrabhashya but
we've had that argument before too.

-- Jaldhar