The Karmas and our destiny

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Mon Jul 14 15:06:03 CDT 1997

Nisargadatta would agree with Ramakrishnan that there is a substratum,
which Nisargadatta at times calls Atman, at times Parabrahman.  But he was
speaking off the cuff, like teachers do who say different things to
different seekers, in order to foster understanding.  He wasn't admitting
or claiming that real things are really happening.  If he were to explain,
he'd say that appearances are appearing on the substratum of the Self
(which he likens to Nirguna Brahman).  And he would also not argue whether
his teaching really IS advaita or not.  He was speaking from his own
experience, not from a textual tradition.  But in the West, his teachings
generally are considered advaita, and are not considered Buddhistic.

--Greg