The Karmas and our destiny (karmaphalapradaa)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Jul 17 11:42:47 CDT 1997

Anand wrote:

>Coming back to destiny and free will, I do not see how adR^ishhTa, as
>used by the aniishvara miimaamsakas, can be identified with "destiny."

I was also wondering exactly the same thing :-). Thanks for the
clarification. As I understood from the bhAshhya lalitA is only
karmaphalapradA and distributes the fruits _impartially_.

>Shankara's explanation of the word karmaphalapradaa makes the
>point that Ishvara (lalitaa, in this case) awards the results
>of karmas, not some insentient entity called adR^ishhTa as
>claimed by the aniishvara miimaamsakas. The explanation closely
>follows Shankara's commentary on the brahma suutra "phalamata
>upapatteH", meaning "it is appropriate that results of karma
>are awarded by this one (God)." Thus, the question that

A totally unrelated topic. Western academia usually dismisses the lalitA
trishatI bhAshhya attributed to shrI sha.nkara and the shrI vidyAratnA
sUtra attributed to shrI gauDapAda assuming ad hoc that they would not
accept these kinds of upAsana. On reading the trishatI bhAshhya I found
that the quotes given follow shrI sha.nkara's usual pattern, i.e.,
mostly from the bR^ihadArNyaka, chhAndogya, taittirIya upanishhad-s and
also from the katha and other prinicipal upanishhad-s (the frequency of
quotations also seems to follow his usual pattern) and also the bhagavat
gItA. The mImA.nsA school is as usual attacked with great vigour. It
would be interesting to see if it satisfies some of the other Hacker's
criteria also.

Ramakrishnan.