Back to baiscs...

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Thu Jul 24 09:52:25 CDT 1997

At 10:01 AM 7/23/97 PDT, Venkat Puntambekar wrote:
>Namaste to all:
>
>I have often wondered how this "True Self" is explained.
[...]

Namaste,

All the explanations are pointers.  Many teachers say not to mistake the
pointing finger for the moon it points to, and that what IT really is
cannot be explained.  It helps me to think of IT as that which sees
everything else.  Anything that can be seen or described cannot be It,
because these things would have to be seen or described by something.  That
which sees these things is exactly what It is.

>ANd there is Ramana Maharshi. "WHo am I" and he stops right there..

To tell you the truth, for me the Ramana method of finding out who the
personal "I" is has not been helpful.  I coulnd't even get started tracing
it.  What has worked better for me has been explanations from
Shankaracharya, Nisargadatta, Ramesh Balsekar, and even Wayne Dyer and
Jeffrey Hopkins (Tibetan Buddhist author of YOGA OF EMPTINESS) about what
the personal "I" really is.  An idea, illusory appearance.