shhashhtyaabdapurti - significance in Hindu tradition

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon Jul 28 18:38:05 CDT 1997

60th birthday is considered a significant event in a human's life span.
In Hindu tradition, 60th birthday celebration - shhashhtyaabdapurti -
is considered an auspicious event. I am asked to say a few words at
a forthcoming shhashhtyaabdapurti celebration for a friend. I would be
most grateful if knowledgeable List-members provide some background
for this event and the significance of the celebration. Is the event
considered important because of the 60-year cycle of the Hindu
calendar and the person who is celebrating 60 years is going to go
through the year cycle for the second time round ? I am sure there
are other importances attached to it. Even a reference where the
significance is discussed is appreciated. I would be most grateful
for either private e-mail or discussion on the List.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.