advaitam and Kashmir shaivam (Idealism and Realism)

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Wed Jul 30 11:18:56 CDT 1997

At 09:06 AM 7/30/97 EST, Anand Hudli wrote:

>   Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about Western Phil.
>   The kind of subjective idealism I have heard is attributed to Berkeley.

and from a previous message:

>   Subjective Idealism implies that the world and the objects in it are
>   just ideas created mentally by the perceiver.

This has Berkeley correctly on the nature of the world but incorrectly on
the source of the ideas.  Berkeley argued that the world is ideas in the
mind, nothing else.  For Berkeley, physical objects, external objects
simply do not exist, and there just is no noumenal world at all.  But he
argued that God is the source of all our ideas, not the mind itself.  The
mind is the locus or the perceiver of the ideas.

--Greg Goode