advaitam and Kashmir shaivam

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Jul 31 12:07:39 CDT 1997

Gregory Goode wrote:

>A: You are not instructed to shut your eyes to the world.  You
>are only to 'see yourself first and then see the whole world as
>the Self'.  If you consider yourself as the body the world
>appears to be external.  If you are the Self the world appears
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>as Brahman.

If the world is seen as brahman it is quite obvious that there is
non-existence of name and form, because brahman is beyond name and form.
This is from the highest stand point namely sarvaM khalvidaM brahma.

As long as the world as it is seen it is a superimposition and by mAyA,
thus we say neti neti. It is rather obvious from the context. Please re
read what I have underlined. If you are the self the world appear as
brahman and not the world. It doesn't mean that for "advanced" aspirants
the world as we perceive it becomes real once more.

Ramakrishnan.