Help on Translation. <fwd>

Anand Hudli Anand_Hudli_at_USININ31 at BMC.BOEHRINGER-MANNHEIM.COM
Wed Jun 18 09:11:20 CDT 1997

>Hi
>Can anyone tell me how the following ideas can be translated in English?

>       1. Upayam and Upeyam
>       2. Heyopadheyam
>Words in current translated works some seems inadequate. If someone
>has some idea, please help

      upaaya is the means or remedy to something.
      upeya is something that is to be approached or something that
      is to be obtained.

      heya is something that is to be abandoned or left out.
      upadheya does not ring a bell for me. Maybe a more
      appropriate word may be heyopeya, meaning something
      that is to be abandoned or something that is to be
      obtained. One may talk about, for example,
      heyopeyavilakshhaNa, something that is neither to be
      abandoned nor to be obtained.

>Thanks.
>Giridharan

  Anand