The story of Satyavan Savitri

Mon Mar 17 01:21:06 CST 1997

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Neeta Pasrija wrote:

> Namaste
> Can anybody shed light on the significance or symbolism of the Satyavan
> Savitri story.  As I know it, Savitri brought Satyavan back to life.

It has nothing to do with Vedanta.  The katha is in praise of pativrata,
the fidelity a wife has to her husband.  This is the highest dharma for a
woman and Savitri fullfilled it with such perfection Yamaraj (who is
Dharmaraj) was compelled to grant her wish.

> What I am confused about is why does this story place so much emphasis
> on Satyavan's body?  The atman does not die.

Advaitins and Dharmic people in general are not suicidal.  If lives can be
saved (including ones own) there is no reason not to do so.

> I am sure there is a deeper meaning that I am not grasping.

All the various stories in the shastras are for the purpose of teaching us
how to act.  Sometimes what is enjoined is quite simple and doesn't need
to be encrusted with weighty meaning.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \