The Journey

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Mar 25 13:44:32 CST 1997

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> Satsang (being in the company of the wise) is the most satisfying thing in
> life.

Some verses from bhaja govindaM

satsaN^gatve nissN^gatvaM
nissaN^gatve nirmohatvam.h .
nirmohatve nishchalatattvaM
nishcalatattve jiivanmuktiH .. 9..

>From Satsangh comes non-attachment, from non-attachment comes
freedom from delusion, which leads to self-settledness. From
self-settledness comes Jeevan Mukti.

kaate kaantaa dhana gatachintaa
vaatula kiM tava naasti niyantaa .
trijagati sajjanasaM gatiraikaa
bhavati bhavaarNavataraNe naukaa .. 13..

Oh mad man ! Why this engrossment in thoughts of wealth ? Is
there no one to guide you ? There is only one thing in three
worlds that can save you from the ocean from samsara. Get into
that boat of satsangha quickly.

        Sat sangh means the company of Sat (Truth). Though sitting at the
feet of an "enlightened person" is a great satsangh, the best satsangh is
abiding in the Atman, which is Sat-chit-ananda.

> We do not really know how close or how far we are to finishing our
> journey. A necessary pre-condition for finishing our journey is the
> removal of the veil of ignorance.

        Actually there is no journey to "finish." Though we think we are
out in the sun and getting burned, we are only in the shade. It is only
attachment to the unreal which makes us *think* we are ignorant. One of
the obstacles is to think 'I am ignorant.' There never was a time in which
we were not That and there never will be a time in which we will be not
That. This is explained beautifully in upadeshasahasri and can also be
experienced. In fact, there is no "we."

> Dennis also mentioned how the "memories" of the present life are carried
> on to the next one. Katha U. says in this regard [II.2.7]: Some souls
> enter a womb for embodiment. Others go into forms such as plants according
> to their past actions and knowledge.
> Shri Giri also referred to this verse in his posting in this thread.

        Thanks for the exact quote. There is a similar quote in Chandogya U.
too.

Namaste. aum shaanti.