knowledge and wisdom

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Fri May 2 20:02:43 CDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Bhuvesh wrote:

> Question: The wise who have reached atman ( it ), must have travelled
> the same path as we mortals. Unless they were born enlightened, in which
> case they have no business to exist as mortals here in any case. If so,
> do they not remember that for many of us mortals here, facing a grim
> battle of faith, a small sign from them ( a miracle maybe? ) would be
> enough to fortify us? Having reached atman, surely they must be
> omnipotent. Why do they then not reveal themselves, atleast for the
> faithful? Are they sadists? Or are they following a grander design which
> we fools do not understand?
>
> yours sincerely,
> etc.

The question is an appropriate one for which my answer below may be
inadequate. As Shri Anand Hudli says, these are jeevanmuktas. I think
they were born enlightened because these characteristics cannot be
acquired in the middle of life of a jeeva. Our recognition of them
as jeevanmuktas may be belated, but that does not make a difference
to them. I believe they do have business to exist as mortals: it
is the welfare of all jeevas. Viveka chudamaNi (verses 37, 38) are
appropriate in this context.

Shanta mahaanto nivasanti santo
vasantavat lokahitam carantah
teernaah svayam bheema bhavaarnavam janaan
ahetunaanyaan api taaravantah

There are pure souls who have attained peace and greatness. They
bring good to mankind, like the coming of spring. They themselves
have crossed the dreadful ocean of this world. Without any selfish
motive, they help others to cross it.

Ayam svabhaavah svata eva yatpara
shramaapanoda pravaNam mahaatmanaam
sudhaamshureshha svayam arka karkasa
prabhaabhitaptaam avati kshhitim kila

It is the very nature of these great souls to work, of their own
accord, to cure the troubles of others; just as the Moon, of its
own accord, cools the Earth when it is scorched by the fierce rays
of the Sun.  [translation according to Svami Turiyananda, Ramakrishna
Math publication]

I do not think a miracle is required of these great souls. Again,
Viveka chudamaNi (verses 43-47) describe the re-assuring words of the
guru who has already crossed the mighty ocean of the world and who
is there to help us mortals cross this bhima-bhavaarnavam.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Sarvaagamaanaa maachaarah prathamam parikalpathe !
                                          Sage Vyasa in Maha Bharatha

For all (incoming) knowledge, discipline is the most fundamental.