Whose free will?

Allan Curry un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA
Tue May 13 11:58:46 CDT 1997

Namaste

Somehow the question of whether the will is free or not doesn't seem as
interesting as considering  the source of the will. Perhaps the question of
its freedom or lack thereof will be solved by investigating its source?
And now, a little humor which I hope no one takes *too* seriously :-)

COMEDIAN = ON

Some Advaita classic (I forget which) says "if you think you are in bondage
then you are, but if you think you are not, then you aren't".  But then
again, I think one of the Upanishads says "those who think they know
Brahman do not, and those who think they do not know Brahman, do know
Brahman".  Putting these together and applying it to our discussion of the
non-reality of free will we arrive at the following:

  - those who merely think they have no free will do in fact have free will
but they lack the intestinal fortitude to shoulder their personal
responsibility for this hopeless world.

  - those who think they do have free will, actually do not but this idea
is put into their heads so as to gear them up for accomplishing some of Isvara's
dirty work while providing Him with an alibi and a scapegoat.

COMEDIAN = OFF

Namaste