Kala Dharma

Sun May 18 22:09:14 CDT 1997

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Pawan Kumar wrote:

> Namaskaram,
>
>         Is there any rule that "Brahmins should follow kaladharma"
>         (I am referring out whether a Brahmin can forget some things
>          like Upanayanam) because for his earnnings and comforts
>          he may not get time to do it. Can anyone tell me more on
>         Kaladharma in this context.

There are certain situations where the shastras relax the stringencies of
certain vidhis 'in extremis'  For instance a person is very ill or
pregnant can be excused from fasting.  However, as soon as they are able
to, they are required to make up the vows they have missed.  But one cannot
arbitrarily decide to do or not do something especially out of laziness or
'lack of comfort.'

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \