Time

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Fri May 23 13:57:38 CDT 1997

Gummuluru Murthy wrote:
> The concept that things are changing has come about because we draw
> mentally a graph of any particular quantity versus time and see that the
> quantities change. Any change perceived is a result of maaya. If we plot
> these parameters as a function of Atman (assuming that we see a difference
> between these parameters and Atman), we see that these quantities do not
> change. If we plot time as a function of Atman, we do not see any change
> in time either. There is no past or future, only the present.
>
> To conclude, if the sense organs are directed inward, we do not see a
> change of Time. If we see that the Time is stilled, we are well on our
> way of shattering the shackles of maaya. My interpretation of Katha
> upanishhad (verse (II.1.1) is that it is a curse that sense organs are
> directed outward, which is responsible for all maaya-related concepts
> acquired by the jeeva.

Why invent sense organs, say that they are directed outwards,
postulate that they should be turned inwards to still time and
assume that this is the recipe to shattering the shackles of
maya(another invention)? What is the inner and what is the outer?
Why this dichotomy? Where is the border?
(examine the responses of the mind to these questions and that
will reveal its predilections)

regards,
Srinivas Sista.