More stuff on Free Will

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Sun May 25 06:34:24 CDT 1997

Reading "The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi" (1959) and came across
this:

"Firm and disciplined inherence in the Atman without giving the least scope
for the rise of any thought other than the deep contemplative thought of
the Self, constitutes self-surrender to the Supreme Lord. Let any amount of
burden be laid on Him, He will bear it all. It is, in fact, the indefinable
power of the Lord that ordains, sustains and controls everything that
happens. Why then should we worry, tormented by vexatious thoughts, saying:
'Shall we act this way? No, that way,' instead of meekly but happily
submitting to that Power? Knowing that the train carries all the weight,
why indeed should we, the passengers travelling in it, carry our small
individual articles of luggage on our laps to our great discomfort, instead
of putting the aside and sitting at perfect ease?"

Just in case anybody should suggest I am quoting this 'out of context',
read it for yourself: Page 45 in the 1986 reprint. About 7 pages into
Chapter 2.

Regards,

Cameron Reilly