New member: Introduction

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram aum at UNIX.TAMU.EDU
Fri May 30 11:50:18 CDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 May 97 17:52 WET
From: Rama K Subramaniam <rama at zamnet.zm>
To: aum at unix.tamu.edu
Subject: Re: ADVAITA-L: request to join

Dear Shri Ravi

Namasthe.

Thanks for your preliminary e-mail welcoming me to the advaitam discussion
list.  I appreciate that many members on this list do not look to advaita as
a mere school of thought but practice it as far as can be done. I will bear
this in mind when I send messages for posting on this discussion list.

I would not, as a student of advaita, ever take a non-reverential attitude
towards sages of other schools of hindu thought.  I believe it is contrary
to advaitic life as we do recognise the brahman in them as well and pay our
respects to that brahman independent of the thought process peerceived by
the current bodily form of that brahman.

I was born in a family of advaitists and am attempting to lead a life as
^^^^^^^^^^
an advaitist.  It is in this process of attempt that I hope to benefit from
the disucssions in this group.  I have had some exposure to Sri Adi
Shankara's teachings on advaita though I must hasten to add that the degree
of exposure is like what Sir Isaac Newton had to say on his exposure of
physics - I feel like a small child collecting pebbles on the shores of the
great philosophical ocean;  looking for assistance in fathoming its depth.
As a student of physics, I was attracted towards what appeared to be
similarities of some of the philosophical interpretations of Albert
Einstein's works and that of Sri Adi Shankara. I hope to be able to pursue
this line of thought with the help of fellow advaitists in this group.

Professionally, I am a chartered accountant presently the national head of
audit and consulting for Zambia's largest black accounting firm - Thewo &
Co.  Before arriving in Zambia, I headed the finance function of a large
manufacturing group in Bangkok, Thailand.  Prior thereto, I had been in India.

I pray bhagwan that I be able to join and benefit from the discussion group
through sharing of thoughts and assimilation of ideas.

Pranams

Rama Subramaniam
rama at zamnet.zm