The point

Sat Nov 1 12:47:43 CST 1997

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Govind Rengarajan wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Greg Goode wrote:
>
> > What does "Jai Ambe" mean?
> >
> I think it means "victory to Devi" (ambA is a manifestation of devi
> or shakti if I am not mistaken).
>
> govind

Yes.  Amba is mother in sanskrit (Like amma.)  That's the literal meaning.
But what it means for the people who say it when they sneeze is "Bless
you."  It is utterly devoid of any philosophical or religious[1] meaning
whatsoever.

I'm travelling and my email access is very erratic.  So I'll explain why I
brought it up later.

[1] except in the most generic sense. Non-shaktas say it too.