The six great enemies

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Nov 13 07:45:37 CST 1997

Namaste.

We all know that we have to conquer the six great enemies for the
purification of the intellect(buddhi). These six great enemies are:

kAma, krOdha, lObha, mOha, mada, mAtsarya

desire, anger, miserliness, passion, pride, jealousy or envy respectively.

Now, from your experience or knowledge, which of these is easiest to
conquer ? And which of these is the most formidable enemy ? What is the
present thinking of the behaviour scientists (or experts in
psychological science) on this topic ? What causes these great enemies
to have a free reign in some humans ? Any solid reference on this topic ?
As I see it, conquering of these six great enemies is a preliminary step
before the meditation process (AtmavichAra) leads us efficiently to know
what we are.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.