Authentic works of Samkara?

MC1 at AOL.COM MC1 at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 11 18:52:35 CDT 1997

In a message dated 97-10-11 16:42:34 EDT, Allan Curry writes:

<< I bet you've already discussed this several times, but I must have missed
it...

 Which works attributed to Samkara are considered to be authentic?  Alston
 says Viveka Cudamani, Atma Bodha, Svatmanirupana, Aparoksanubhuti and Sata
 Sloki were *not* written by Sankara. That leaves only the Upadesa Sahasri
 and commentaries to the Upanishads and Gita. Is that correct?

 Is Alston right about this? If so, do the works attributed to Samkara by
 later authors contain any significant differences from Samkara's thought?

Add to your list the Brahma Sutra Bhasya and substract the
Svetasvataropanishad and you're in the ball park. THere's an extensive
discussion and survey of views on this topic in Natalia Isayeva's, Shankara
and Indian Philosophy; p91ff   -michael.