Non-reality of the world

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Tue Oct 14 15:01:56 CDT 1997

At 01:37 PM 10/14/97 -0400, sadananda wrote:

>Relating to the world - There is an objective world and then there is a
>subjective projection of the objective world.  One is, it is, therefore I
>see it - and second is I see it, therefore it is.   Error can creep in both
>of them.

A small point, and maybe even off the subject, but...

That

        "there is an objective world and therefore I see it"

is by no means to be taken for granted, even for non-Vedantins.
For instance, in my grad school incoming class in Philosophy (Western),
several of us became Berkeleyans.  In the Berkeley seminar, you couldn't
get an A unless you argued in favor of Berkeley.  So, wanting a good
grade, I looked into his philosophy very carefully.  Made sense to
me, and I stayed with it till I learned Vedanta, and even then it retains
a certain elegant appeal:

        (1) Nothing exists without being perceived.
        (2) That which perceives is the mind.
        (3) That which is perceived is an idea.
        (4) God is the source of all ideas.
One of the consequences of (1) - (4) is:
        (5) Unperceived (e.g., material) objects do not exist.

I'm not asking anyone to go along with this, I'm just saying it's a cogent,
credible metaphysic that entails no external world.  And it's just one
person's philosophy.  Any Western idealist (Bosanquet, Blanshard, Hegel,
probably not Kant because of his faith in the Ding-An-Sich) would agree.

In Vedanta, for example, the idea is more that the outside world is
imagined or created.  E.g., the Drig-Drishya Vivek (attributed to Adi
Shankaracharya) states:

        "The thought modifications of the inner equipment
        having attained an identity with the reflection
        of Consciousness, in the ream state project
        impressins, and in the waking state imagine
        objects outside with the sense organs."

                --Sloka 11

--Greg