There is no ...

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue Oct 21 15:00:56 CDT 1997

Miguel Angel Carrasco wrote:

> Allow me to state a position I am slowly but relentlessly approaching:
>
> ^ÓThere is only the One, the Absolute.
> ^ÓThere is nothing else at all.
> ^ÓThere is no (1: see note) body, no soul, no ego, no world.
> ^ÓThere is no Vedas, no Sankara, no Ramana, no Nisargadatta.
> ^ÓThere is no maja, no creation, no illusion, no dis-illusioning.
> ^ÓThere is no karma, no re-incarnation, no liberation.
> ^ÓThere is no Shiva, no Krishna, no gods.
> ^ÓThere is no Advaita, no religion, no philosophy.
> ^ÓThere is no me, no you, no we.
> ^ÓThere is no two, no three, no four, just the One.
> ^ÓAnd I^Òm this One, and nothing else.
>
> End of expositon ot the position.
> When I^Òm in this position I don^Òt understand
>           any of the discussions about anything.
> But I feel extremely at rest.
> Am I oversimplifying? Please comment.

There is no exposition, no beginning or ending.
There is no oversimplyfying.
There are no comments.

regards,
Srinivas Sista.
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:31:37 -0400
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ram Chandran <chandran at TIDALWAVE.NET>
Subject: Re: There is no ...
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Miguel Angel Carrasco wrote:
> Allow me to state a position I am slowly but relentlessly approaching:
>
> "There is only the One, the Absolute. .............
> ................................     When I'm in this position I don't understand
>  any of the discussions about anything.
> But I feel extremely at rest.
> Am I oversimplifying? Please comment.

Hello Miguel:
        When we free our Self from the "World of Notions, " we will be at REST!
This is absolutely true. Though, it is not oversimplifying but it
doesn't give any direction or clue! If I were the King, I could rule the
Kingdom is logical, correct but such statement is useless! This is a
tautology which repeats a trivial TRUTH!
        The key question that we are investigating is "What is the human
Dharma?" Again Dharma in Sanskrit has multiple meanings and connotations
that are subject to context and the Subject of reference. Some examples
are necessary.  The Dharma of the FIRE is to Burn.  The Dharma of a
Tiger is to kill and eat some cattle. The Dharma of a flower plant is to
bloom! The Dharma of a fruit tree is to yield fruits! The Dharma of the
CREATOR is to CREATE.   Now when we try to define the Dharma of a human
being, we get millions of choices! Religion becomes a helpful tool to
understand the fundamental question on the Human Dharma.  Different
religions have attempted to define the role of human beings in the
universe and the relationship between human beings, between human and
the Creator and between human, the living and nonliving species.  One of
the significant religious movement comes from the "Vedic Tradition." The
people who observed those traditions have evolved the philosophy known
as "Vedanta."  Advaita, Dwaita and VishishtAdvaita are the three major
classifications of Vedanta philosophy.  According to Advaita, Brahman is
the single indivisible entity of the universe and all divisions are the
illusions projected by the Illusory human mind!  The great philosopher
and spiritual master Sankara developed the Advaita philosophy.  Sankara
has developed supporting documents from Vedic Scriptures to validate his
thesis. To understand the genesis of his thesis, it is important to read
his commentaries on the Upanishads, Brahma Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita.
It is also important to understand the historical significance and
relevance of Advaita Philosophy in India during Sankara's time.  For all
relevant information, I request you to refer to the Home page of our
fellow member of the Advaita family, Vidyasankar Sundaresan,
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/.  Vidya has given elaborate
account of the different issues that are relevant for a good
understanding of Advaita. Due to time constraints, let me stop right
here!