SIVA

MANTRALAURA at DELPHI.COM MANTRALAURA at DELPHI.COM
Wed Oct 22 11:22:23 CDT 1997

sarvebhyo namaH,
  On October 7th, Nageswar wrote:

>"Aham Shiva" OR "shivoham" means I am
>auspicious.  "I" refers to Nageswar
>(me) or "I" could mean the self. Assuming
>the "I" refers to self what happens to the
>other "I" referring  to Nageswar. Am I not
>auspicious.

  Since I still struggle with Sanskrit grammar,
I forwarded this request to my friend, Aikya
Param, whom I consider to be much more of an
expert with grammar details. Here is her response:

>The phrase "Shivoham" is like "Tattvamasi."
>
>The "aham" is the usual mind-body-complex
>through which we experience the world.  Could
>be Nagesvara's. Could be yours or mine or
>anybody's.
>
>"Shiva" is the satchidananda-atma.
>
>In a way the use of Shiva could be seen as
>a play on words which further educates.
>BrahmAtma is called "shivaH" in many texts.
>Also, the use of the name of Lord Shiva
>suggests the further truth about how the
>individual and the Lord are one as brahmAtma,
>and not as mind, body.  JIveshvara aikyam.h
>the oneness between the Lord and the individual-
>which Shankara writes about extensively in his
>bhASHyA to taittirIya upaniShad.

Shivoham! Shivoham!

dhanyavaadaH,
  Laura