There is no...

Miguel Angel Carrasco nisargadata at MX3.REDESTB.ES
Wed Oct 22 14:24:51 CDT 1997

Thanks a lot to several members' comments on my "There is no... " position.

Though I have already read quite a few books about Advaita, I will follow
Ram Chandran's kind advice about refering to Vidyasankar's homepage.  I
really appreciate Ram Chandran's lengthy troubles to explain to me the
point of human beings' Dharma.

The problem is that I do not consider myself a human being. This is not my
body, nor is this my mind that is dictating this e-mail. At least they are
not more mine than my dog's (or any living being's) body and mind. As
Nisargadatta Maharaj said (I quote approximately), "You accuse me of being
a person - I declare myself innocent."

I am not interested in human beings' nature. Nor in dolphins',  or
Martians'. That has nothing to do with me.

Once I have heard (in the Vedas) and accepted that only the Absolute is
real, and that I am not this person, but that One who has no form and no
nature (tat twam asi), I have stopped being really interested in
investigating other things (which are only imaginary). I try to see things
"sub speculo aeternitatis" - from the point of view of the eternal.

I suspect that I am oversimplifying, that this "there is no..." position
may be wrong (but, as I feel, not for lack of reading or thinking, but
perhaps for too much of that). Anyway, this cannot be my definite position,
because I am not yet at rest, which means that I am not yet One. Though who
says this? My mind, which does not exist. It is only the One's shadow. And
how can the shadow understand the One?

Anyway, thanks a lot again. Truly.