Anandalahari

Chelluri at AOL.COM Chelluri at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 14 10:16:17 CDT 1997

                                                 Om
Namaste!

Shivanandalahari written by Adishankara is in praise of Lor Shiva.
 Saundlyalahari also written by Adishankara is in praise of "DEVI".   I don't
think Shivanandalahari contains any reference to Sri Saraswati.

I have a hard copy in english/sanskrit.   I will be very happy to mail it to
you if you post your address.

                          Vande Parvati Parameswara                Nageswar
>From gmurthy at morgan.ucs.mun.ca Tue Sep 16 08:53:02 1997
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:53:02 -0230
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Gummuluru Murthy <gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA>
Subject: "I know", "I do" etc
Comments: To: advaita list <advaita-l at tamu.edu>

In my re-study of Atmabodha by Shri Shankara over the weekend, two verses
(# 24 and 25) stood out prominently. In our day-to-day writings and
conversations, we use "I know", "I do" and such other sentences quite
commonly. It struck me that sentences like "I know" are the most
ridiculous. They are ridiculous for both words I and know and for the
I meaning of either the Nirguna Brahman or the worldly I.

For the I meaning Atman (Nirguna Brahman), the I is the knowledge and is
of nishhkriya (no action), and statements like "I know" and "I do" are
superfluous and wrong. For the I representing the intellect of the jeeva,
that is inert, and again statements like "I know" and "I do" are wrong.

Thus, for an advaitin, the first person singular pronoun is the most
significant one, yet, is also a banned pronoun for usage.

Atmabodha verses 24 and 25 are revealing in this context.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.